One of the most powerful ways to tell stories online is by using a data visualisation. A static data visualisation can be used to give one perspective to the audience. With an online visualisation, people can choose their perspective themselves and seek out parts of the story that are interesting to them.
We will also have a look at some other tools to create or enrich interactive online visualisations. We will practice for example with Chart.js or NVD3 and use libraries like MapboxGL (for creating maps) or pixi.js (for high-performance visualisations).
This two-day training is a mix of explanation, demonstration and hands-on exercises. At the end of the training you will have a solid understanding in how to make visually attractive and interactive graphs.
The following topics will be covered:
- examples of online data visualisations;
- looking into the code design and language;
- repetition of web-based development concepts;
- quick and simple charts with libraries like Chart.js or NVD3;
- introduction to D3.js;
- importing data in D3.js;
- creating static D3.js charts;
- design options when creating an online visualisation;
- adding interaction with D3.js;
- specialized libraries like MapboxGL or pixi.js for specific use-cases.
Dominikus Baur is a data visualisation expert and interaction designer from Germany. He creates usable, aesthetic and responsive visualisations for desktops, tablets and smartphones. As a freelancer he has helped create beautiful visualisations for clients such as the OECD, Microsoft Research and Wincor-Nixdorf. He is a regular speaker at conferences and a trainer on data visualisation.
The cost for the training is € 549 excluding VAT and including coffee, tea and lunch.
This training will be offered soon.